Thursday, December 30, 2010
And they say that love should last forever
."Secular love has called out to many, in fact, it is the most fashionable kind of love to have and be in. This sort of love by my definition is shallow and is based mainly on physical attraction, the fear of loneliness and the spontaneity of the endocrine. The yearning for this sort of love is like a slippery slope, it never ends, you find emotional food and satisfaction from one person, pour out your emotions to him/her and when it all ends, when the "spark" is gone and chemistry doused, what is left is a deeper pit of emotional emptiness and the vicious cycle continues. I am no stranger to this yearning of companionship, I do struggle against this, and have once fallen in "love" and out of, felt that pain of your heart being mashed to pieces and the emptiness that follows. Luckily for me, or rather, I thank God that He led me out of it and I was spared falling into that bottomless pit of "love".
Being with someone should not be about him/her making you feel whole nor about them filling that void and loneliness. You should already be whole when entering the relationship, that void in your heart should have already been filled, as a Christian, your heart should be whole and full with the Love of God. That loneliness you have should be filled with a closer walk with God and not a closer walk with a person you're attracted to, because that walk is just simply temporal until you understand the true meaning of love. How can you love someone when you can't even love the person who made you, who created you?
What then is Love, you may ask.. I truly have no concrete answer, or rather, am not wise enough to give one, but at this point, I can only share with you love that I understand. Godly love, above all else, is love that is essential to me, it is what keeps me whole and fills me with such joy and contentment. It is this gift of Love for me that I can love others, forgive them and love people who do evil unto me. It is God's love that marks me, His love for me, so much so, that He gave His son as a living sacrifice for me. Honestly, I do not deny that at times, it is a struggle for me to exhibit this kind of Godly love to people, because they do get on my nerves too, but I try to remind myself, that it is this group of people that needs and lacks God's love.Love between people, isn't just about attraction or a bunch of hormonal reactions, it's more than just that. Love between friends and that special someone, is a commitment. It is a commitment to actively love someone above all else. If love is based upon "chemistry" and "feelings" then it is love that cannot last, but if it is a promise to love someone with all your heart, to love them through all circumstances, it will be tough, that I can guarantee, but it will be the most rewarding and lasting form of love, one that conquers and commits.
Physical purity is just one aspect of purity, there is too, the emotional aspect of it. Not giving your heart to people who don't deserve it, because when you do and when they break it, part of you "dies" away. At the end of the day, when you marry that one person, when you find that one special person you want to live with for the rest of your life, all that is left is a heart that has been broken and patched and full of cracks. You can't Love wholeheartedly when you don't have a heart that is whole."
(got this from Pek's blog)I'm really, really blessed by this too ♥